Tuesday, August 13, 2013

8/12/13

So last week we went to the catacombs. The catacombs are actually under a 400 year old Catholic Cathedral. Which is gorgeous. The construction is marvelous. It was built sometime in the 1600´s I believe. We were not allowed to take pictures inside though... There was an awesome library, and the domes on the ceiling were breathtaking. I wasnt too fond of the decor though... Lots of pictures/images/3d images of Christ suffering and dying on the cross. If I was catholic, I would definitely be depressed. The catacombs were pretty cool, and really creepy at the same time. I kind of felt like it could be in a scene of Indiana Jones or something ;) There were lots of bones that were placed in V forms, but lots, so stack the V´s on top of each other and thats how the bones were. There was also this pit that when you looked down, you saw lots of bones placed in different shapes/patters, and also skulls. And there were skulls in the stone wall going down into it. I thought it was pretty cool.

So last week, I forgot to tell this story. So about a week and a half ago, we went to a home that we call niƱos (that is kids in spanish, because we teach the children there) and they all came out and gave us kisses and such, and this little boy about 3 years old came out with his grandma, looked and me and covered his eyes while screaming "¡ojo´s! ¡Blanco!" He did NOT want to come near me at all. But his grandma convinced him I was ok, and he came and gave me a peck on the cheek and ran off. I later learned he said my eyes were doll eyes (blue.)  A similar thing happened just yesterday with a little girl. She was about the same age, 3 or 4, and she ran and gave Hna P a BIG hug and kiss, looked at me, and ran to her dad. When we finished talking with her parents, she hugged Hna P, hugged Hna M (she has green eyes, but not as noticeable) and REFUSED to come near me. I was kind of really disappointed... but at the same time its kind of funny. I think you should send me brown contacts. ;)

We do a lot of hiking here. If you look at the popular peru picture of colorful houses on the hill/mountain, that is what it looks like. Dead serious. A lot of the houses are just cement. There is one lady who lives in a space smaller than our garage (in Lehi). Its...wow. Jut wow.

A few things I am grateful for. Having access to various cleaning supplies at home. Clean bathrooms in the church (the STINK. SO BAD here. In the church!). I am thankful for insulation, and thick walls that keep out a lot of the noise at night.

We dont have any big stores in our zone. We are only allowed to leave our zone 2 a transfer. There are tiny stores that have basic stuff, but I want to go to a supermarket store. Where I can shop and look for what I want.

Yesterday there was this lady that came up to us and started talking about our church. She was crying while talking. I didnt understand the conversation, but after, I learned she is trying to quit drinking, but cant. She really really wants to. And she is trying to find a religion, but every church she goes to tells lies. We are having a family home evening at someones house tonight, and we are going to take her as well. I hope she really does come. She could be a very promising investigator.

I love you all so much! Stay safe!

Love Always,
Hermana Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment